Thursday 30 May 2013

Reflections on creating a Gaming Channel : Interactions and monetization

Hello guys,


Its been a while since I created my gaming channel on youtube (www.youtube.com/thejohnhdgaming) so I thought I'd Pen some thoughts.

Having my own channel taught me a couple of things. Firstly, I now understand why youtubers frequently ask or even beg for subscribers, a comment or a like on their video. It takes time and effort to make a simple video much less a video that requires editing to eliminate imperfections. I do sometimes re-record videos altogether if I find them to be below the quality threshold I set for myself. And sometimes the games I play just aren't interesting enough so I have to stash them. A simple gesture such as a like, a comment or a subscribe provides a tremendous encouragement to youtubers and let us know that SOMEONE out there cares about our video enough to pen a comment or click on the like button.

Monetization is something that youtubers frequently think about. However I am realistic that it is probably going to take some time. This is because the quality of my videos can only improve with consistent practice and maybe some hardware upgrades, e.g. the microphone or the graphics card. I strongly discourage youtubers from making videos with the intention to make a fast buck because it simply does not happen quickly and even if you do enable monetization, you are likely to be getting less than a dollar over a fortnight because no one has discovered your channel yet.

Make videos because you love gaming and want to share your gameplays. That will help to keep you going and make videos over the long term. I am sure that will gradually build up your fan base. As for myself, I have a day job doing some theoretical chemistry and I record gameplays when I am gaming. I am considering the possibility of doing some streaming on Twitch Tv but let's see how it goes.

Let me end off by thanking any readers or youtubers who comment, like and subscribe to my videos/channel. Thanks for the encouragement. I do hope I can improve on my videos and provide the entertainment you guys are looking for. 

Cheers~

JohnHD

No comments:

Post a Comment